Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Lewis Edition: June and Grand Canyon Trip!


The highlight of June was Rebekah's visit and our trip to the Grand Canyon!

Since Rebekah did the (more difficult) chronological post,
I think I'll just share some of my favorite pictures and memories!

The drive through the Texas Panhandle, New Mexico and Arizona
was all-new for Rebekah and me, and greatly enjoyed by all three of us!

Such diverse, unusual and beautiful scenery!
Every few miles seemed to bring something entirely new into view.


A lot of the topography reminded us
of a scene right out of an old western!
We even had tumbleweed blow across the road and hit our van!

You could see trains for miles because of the flat, treeless land.
It made them look so long!

Rebekah and me at Capulin National Monument,
a dormant volcano.

We made it to Arizona!
Thanks to Rebekah for the pictures of
Russell and me in this post - so nice to
have pictures of the two of us!!

Entering the campground where Steven and Anna
were staying in Cottonwood, Arizona,
after 3 days (20+ hours) of driving.
We were so excited to see our family!!!

We enjoyed cool early mornings at the picnic table.

Reading one of our family's favorite storybooks,
"Huckle Cat's Busiest Day Ever."

Hudson getting a Desert Broom to tickle me with!

The beautiful Verde River, an oasis in the desert!

My handsome photographer husband

These two are so sweet and precious!
We miss them!

Russell and me on our 2nd anniversary! 😍
So thankful to God for this man,
and that I get to be his!!!

Now, for some Grand Canyon pictures!

It was awesome to see this magnificent part of God's creation,
stretching for miles and miles in each direction!
What an amazing Creator we have!!!

Layers upon layers upon layers!

Shadows

I wasn't prepared for the tummy-flop feeling when I looked straight down!
I couldn't bring myself to get within several feet of the edge
unless there was a railing.

Some brave souls venturing down into the canyon!

"You see, if there really was a global Flood, like the Bible says,
we should find billions of dead things, buried in lock layers,
laid down by water, all over the earth. And that is exactly
what we find! -Ken Hamm

The Colorado River

We were thrilled to see this Scripture
at the top of the viewing tower!

"All the earth shall worship thee:
they sing praises to thee,
sing praises to thy name."
Psalm 66:4

It was exciting to see so many new animals in the wild;
antelope, elk, mule deer, prairie dogs, Stellar's Jay and more!

Mule Deer

Prairie Dog (to the left of the tree)
They are so cute!

We also saw many new (to us) plants, such as desert broom,
crucifixion thorn, Mormon tea tree, and prickly pear!

Rebekah and I were intrigued to learn that what we had always called
sage brush is actually sage grass, and this fragrant, flowering
plant is sage brush!

 Cacti everywhere, even seemingly growing
out of rock!

Prickly Pear in bloom

Our favorite campground of the trip, just a few miles from the canyon.
It was so peaceful and beautiful; I could've stayed there at least a week!

Ponderosa Pine

All in all, it was a never-to-be-forgotten trip
to a place I'd always dreamed of seeing one day,
and a special time to marvel at God's creation ...
and what could be better than sharing that
with your sweetheart and dear family members?!!



No comments:

Post a Comment