Usually we just raise chickens for meat once a year (in the spring), but since we were starting to run low on meat, we raised another set of chickens this fall. We butchered them Thursday morning.
The unlucky victims waiting in the truck.
Jonathan and Daddy checking the temperature of the water in the scalder.
(Jonathan is using a thermometer, not his hand!) :)
David fixing a hose
Amanda rinsing the plucker
Getting started...Jonathan and Daddy scalding the first set of chickens. (We didn't take any pictures of them being killed.) :)
Putting the chickens into the plucker...
...which does a wonderful job!
Some of the girls getting ready to clean the chickens
Some friends from church came over and brought some of their chickens for us to process for them. Nicholas was a big help getting the chickens out of the truck.
In the middle of processing, a piece of the plucker broke! We were very grateful that our friends had a part at home just like the broken one and were able to repair it quickly.
We didn't get very many pictures because we weren't clean enough to touch the camera!